- Cod Cakes:
- 1 pound 1 pound Alaska Cod fillets, fresh, thawed or frozen
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, if desired
- 1/3 cup 1/3 cup fine cornmeal or flour
- 2 Tablespoons 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Citrus Sauce:
- 1 cup 1 cup orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- 2 teaspoons 2 teaspoons honey-Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups 4 cups escarole and shredded carrot salad blend
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup toasted macadamia nuts, hazelnuts or almonds, chopped
- Fill a large saut pan or stockpot with enough water to cover seafood; bring to a simmer. Rinse any ice glaze from frozen Alaska Cod under
- cold water. Turn off heat and gently add seafood to water; return heat to a simmer. Once simmering, cover pan tightly and cook 4 to 5
- minutes for frozen seafood or 2 minutes for fresh/thawed fish. Turn off heat and let seafood rest in liquid for 5 minutes, or until seafood
- is opaque throughout. Remove cod from water; cool slightly and flake into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix together cod flakes, bread crumbs, mayonnaise, egg white, celery salt and cayenne pepper. Form mixture into
- 4 cakes. Dust cakes with cornmeal or flour. Heat butter and oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook cakes until golden brown on both sides;
- remove from pan and keep warm.
- Blend orange juice, corn starch, mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk into butter mixture in pan; cook and stir until sauce thickens. Portion 1
- cup salad blend on each of 4 plates. Top with a cod cake. Spoon on sauce and sprinkle with nuts.
- Variation: Alaska Cod can be poached, steamed, baked or sauted until opaque throughout; cool slightly before breaking into small flakes.
Share this Recipe